These shortbread cookies are so easy that you’re gonna want to bake them right now! And maybe you even can bake them right now, because you probably have all of the ingredients at home already 😃
Shortbread cookies are soft, buttery cookies that are quite popular during the holiday season. And there are only THREE main ingredients, which are: butter, sugar and flour. Of course, if you want to, you can add things like vanilla extract, dried fruit or chocolate chips. I dipped my cookies in melted chocolate to make them look a bit more fancy, but you can totally skip that step.
You can either cut the dough into squares, or you can cut out shapes. I used a heart shaped cookie cutter but I think Christmas themed shapes would be really awesome, especially if you wanna give these cookies as an edible gift 😍
- 250g softened butter
- ½ teaspoon salt (if your butter is not salted)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 ½ cups flour
- optional: melted chocolate (for decoration)
- Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add in the flour and salt and mix until just combined. The mix may look dry and crumbly, but when you press it between your fingers the dough will stick together.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and shape into two discs. Wrap both of the discs in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/320°F and line a baking sheet with parchement paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out your dough to about 1 cm in thickness (~1/3 inch) and cut into desired shapes.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet and bake for around 15-20 minutes or until they turn pale golden and the edges become slightly brown.
- Let them cool completely before dipping them in the melted chocolate.