I think scones are one of my favorite treats to have alongside a warm cup of tea. They’re a cross between a biscuit and a bread roll, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside! Just imagine: a warm scone with whipped cream and jam! The thought itself makes me hungry! 😅
These delicious scones are tender and rich. They are so simple to make and before you know it, they are baked and ready to eat!
I put raisins in my scones just to give them an extra oomph. Of course, you could leave those out if you don’t like them. Maybe instead you could go for other dried fruit? Or even fresh strawberries cut into small pieces? Go crazy and experiment with what you have in the kitchen! 😜
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 125g butter
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 ¼ cup double cream + more for brushing
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and icing sugar.
- Rub in the butter using your fingers, until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Stir in the raisins.
- Make a well in the middle and pour in the double cream.
- With your hand, mix everything together until a dough forms. Turn your dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Pat the dough down with your hand into a 2cm thick disc. Using a round cutter or a drinking glass, cut out the scones.
- Place the scones on your baking sheet and brush the tops with some double cream.
- Bake for around 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.