This Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake is a great treat to have with a cup of tea in the afternoon. It’s also something you can grab for breakfast if you’re feeling lazy and can’t be bothered to prepare anything in the morning 😜
This cake has a subtle flavor, it’s neither too sweet nor too sour. If you prefer something with a more intensive flavor you can always add some lemon extract to the batter and the cake will have an even stronger lemony flavor.
My favorite part of this cake is the icing on top, so when you bake this cake make sure to drizzle the icing on it after it has cooled down a bit. The icing really adds an extra oomph to this dessert!
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- the zest of half a lemon
- juice from one lemon
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF and grease a loaf pan.
- In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- In a seperate bowl beat the oil and sugar until combined. Add the eggs one at a time.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for around 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool and prepare the icing: whisk the powdered sugar, lemon juice and water together.
- Once the cake has cooled down drizzle it with the icing.